VPN or virtual private network is a network technology that allows to securely extending a local network over a public network such as the Internet, very useful to connect different branches of a company, access technical support or for a professional who requires connecting secure and remote with an office computer from any geographic location.
It is also used at the consumer level to access a home’s local network, bypass region locks in some regions, hide browsing data when using insecure public wireless networks, or to avoid government censorship in some regions. So if you want to use a VPN, we can say that you can install NordVPN also on Windows 10
Security and Types of VPN
The security is guaranteed for participants using authentication and access control only to authorized data; privacy using encryption algorithms such as AES and DES, as well as activity logging and auditing.
The type of VPN most used at the user level is that of remote access, which uses the Internet as an access path to connect from remote sites to the premises of a company. The point-to-point VPN is the most used when connecting branches to the headquarters of a company, while the VPN over LAN is indicated to connect areas and services within the same company, but not using the Internet but the local network of the same.
How to create a VPN in Windows 10
The new Windows 10 operating system has facilitated the creation, configuration, and use of these virtual point-to-point connections that allow secure extensions of the local network over a public network such as the Internet. To make a VPN connection in Windows 10, be it the property of the company where we work or a custom connection of its own, we will need to know:
- The IP address of the VPN server – VPN service provider.
- The name of the connection and the details of the VPN account (username and password).
- Any technical configuration you may need to successfully establish a secure connection.
Knowing this data, connecting a VPN in Windows 10 is easy by following these steps :
- Sign in to Windows 10 with an administrator account.
- Access the System Configuration tool – Network and Internet.
- Add a VPN connection.
Enter the necessary information to create a VPN.
- VPN provider
- Connection name
- Server name or IP address
- VPN type
- Login information type
- Optionally, you can access advanced settings to manage other VPN-related settings, such as proxy settings, automatic detection, or manual entry.
- Once created, we only have to access the available connections on the computer, and there we will see the newly created VPN, which we can access as we do with a Wi-Fi network.
As we can see, it is easy to create and use these virtual point-to-point connections that allow secure extensions of the local network over a public network such as the Internet. So, what are you waiting for? Find a VPN for Windows 10 now!…